View Single Post
Old 05-12-11, 22:56
AFF Guru

boundngag is on a distinguished road

I can't help but wonder what happened with Chamakh. He was a much coveted striker at Bordeaux (I think?), but Wenger wouldn't buy him when we could have done with more firepower up front (I think Van Persie was injured at the time) and he ran down his contract. He joined Arsenal the next season, seemed to have a fairly good start and then his form just sort of disappeared. It's strange the number of attacking players this happens to at Arsenal. It happened to Arshavin, Rosicky and I don't know if you remember a certain Jose Antonio Reyes! Unfortunately, good strikers cost (look at, for example, Darren Bent. Imho one of the most overrated players EVER!) and Wenger's refusal to pay even slightly over the odds has hurt us in that department. But Wenger has January to address (don't forget Wenger brought Arshavin in January and he had an immediate impact) this and one more striker could will see us OK.

I also think that in the near future, Walcott will start playing up front and I think he could be a revelation. A major reason for this is Oxlade-Chamberlain, who looks like he's going to be a much better winger than Walcott is. Also, don't forget that we still have the likes of Wilshere and Sagna (imho the best right back in the league and probably our most consistent player) to come back from injury this season.

All in all, I think we have a good team with bags of potential and Wenger is right about that. I think what he gets wrong is the statements he comes out with and the way he desperately tries to cling on to players, rather than accept that they want to leave and move on to other transfer targets quickly.