Thread: Wayne Rooney
View Single Post
Old 05-08-13, 21:34
AFF Guru

boundngag is on a distinguished road

I find that quite funny too, John! The excuse the press use is that he wouldn't be able to adapt to life abroad, but how hard could it be? He's a millionaire footballer, who basically would have to do very little for himself and it would be in the purchasing club's interest to look after him and ensure that he adapted quickly. No; the reason they don't bid for him is much more simple than that - he isn't good enough! In my opinion, Man Utd were probably hoping that more clubs would be interested in Rooney this summer and so they would have been able to sell him by now. That's their problem - who would be interested in Rooney now? Not only is he an overrated player, but his wages and tendency to sulk as soon as things don't go 100% his way make him a liability.

This leads me to wonder a few things things things: Why does Mourinho want to sign him? With Lukaku, Ba and Torres (That would be my pecking order for them, too), they don't really need another central striker. If rumours are to be believed, Mourinho wanted to bring back Drogba when he first arrived. This sort of suggests that Rooney may be an Abramovic signing. Another is that, when Rooney threw his toys out of the pram the last time, do Man Utd wish they'd just let him join Man City (the only club interested in him at that time)? Also, everyone must have noticed how easily Van Persie turned up and usurped him. Yes, Van Persie is a good player, but surely, if Rooney is as good as the press repeatedly tell us he is, he should have found it more difficult?