View Single Post
Old 21-12-18, 18:00
AFF Regular

Void99 is on a distinguished road

I never voted on it.
Based on the very simple fact that I really don't consider myself to be in a good position to determine whats good and best for my country.

I was born after the UK joined the EU....so I have absolutely no experience at all in what life was like when we were not part of the EU.

And there are also the factors that I really don't have the interest and knowledge to keep up with things like politics....I don't want to pretend I'm suddenly all politics savvy every 5 years just because it's the cool and trending thing at that particular time.
Plus I really don't have the time for it.

People argue about the right to vote....or it's your duty to vote. What about being properly qualified to vote?

It's easy to simply check a box and drop a slip of card into a ballot box every 5 years......but how many of those people actually follow politics on a daily basis and really understand what it is they are actually voting for?

You would not trust an 18 year old stoner to perform brain surgery on someone who was a dear relative of yours....likewise....should that 18 year old stoner be trusted to have a say on whats best for the country?

One thing that has repeatedly been said to me before. "If you don't vote....you can't complain about the type of government you get".

But on the other hand....if you are going to pressure people into voting, despite them having neither the intelligence, qualifications or understanding of what it is they are doing.....then again, you really can't complain about the type of government you get.