Thread: Fourth Place
View Single Post
Old 16-04-13, 20:20
AFF Guru

boundngag is on a distinguished road

I agree with you about Kroenke. I'm not sure he can make as much money out of Arsenal as he does with his American franchises, as profits in the permier league tend to correlate with success. Unless he plans to rip off Arsenal fans more every season, which does seem quite likely. I don't think Arsenal's fans will continue turning up indefinitely. I mean, who exactly does no chance of success and ever increasing process appeal to?

On the other hand, I think what has happened with Wenger is that he has got old. What this has caused is rigidly clinging to his beliefs in the face of all the contrary evidence (this is actually fairly common. An admittedly inappropriate, but accurate comparison is Hitler, studying closely the model he had built in the bunker of how Linz would be rebuilt after he had won the war, while the Soviet troops grew ever closer) and his declining ability to judge players in the transfer market. Whereas before he could unearth a Viera, Henry or Fabregas, now he recruits the likes of Fabianski, Squillaci, Gervinho and Santos. This means that, in my opinion, although Arsenal are likely to decline under Kroenke whoever the manager is, it is likely to be steeper if Wenger remains, as he is unable to spend the money he has as effectively as he was before.