View Single Post
Old 28-04-13, 21:27
AFF Guru

boundngag is on a distinguished road
Default Arsenal draw at home to Man Utd

Call me pessimistic, but I think that this could be critical to us failing to qualify for the Champions League. People are saying that Wigan's luck may run out this season and they may go down, but I think it could be Arsenal's (hopefully not both). The thing is with Arsenal that, when things don't go their way, they tend to simply give up. This result could feasibly lead our form simply falling away. We're only 2 points ahead of Spurs in fifth and they have a game in hand.

The thing that irritates me about the current Arsenal side is that, whereas before they would struggle against teams they should beat or who were more physical, we could beat the big clubs on our day. We may not have been able to win competitions, but one off victories against the likes of Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea always seemed possible. Now, Arsenal just never look like they are going to be able to pull off results against the big sides. Worse still, you just don't seem to think we'll beat the likes of Spurs, Everton or Liverpool either. Wenger should at least acknowledge the state of the team now and that the reason for it is that 1) he won't spend the money and 2) his once great judgement is now flawed. Signings on the cheap such as Viera, Fabregas, Anelka, Van Persie and Henry have been replaced by signings on the cheap such as Squillaci, Chamakh, Andre Santos and Mertesacker.

While we're talking about Wenger's limitations, why does he refuse to start with Oxlade Chamberlain? I think he should start on the right, with Walcott through the middle, to see if it could work with their pace. Surely that's worth a try? If Arsenal don't finish in the top 4, he should resign.

People who are saying Wigan's luck has run out this season fail to acknowledge that their next two games are away at West Brom and at home to Swansea. These two teams have nothing to play for and are eminently winnable. Their next fixture, away to Arsenal, is even more winnable!!! Two wins would put Wigan on 38 points, the same as Norwich in 14th place. I wouldn't write them off just yet.