View Single Post
Old 14-07-17, 18:59
peter92305

I can't help thinking that it could prove difficult to capture Assad whilst the Russians continue to support him. They may capitulate in that event although there is no guarantee that they will not try and redress the balance.

On the other hand if we take him out completely, he dies a martyr and we all know what happens in that scenario. There is also the factor that there is no appetite in the West, ( with the possible exception of Trump ) for getting involved on the ground which would entail a massive and costly campaign involving Allied losses. Whilst i'm in no way a supporter of Trump, the fact that he is totally unpredictable means the Russians, ( as well as the Chinese and North Korea ) need to think very carefully before deciding which way to jump on all potentially confrontational matters.
That's why i would prefer to involve Assad in the initial solution in the hope that we can avoid further killings and fleeing of women and children in fear of their lives.

Having said all that, you are closer to the action than I am, and i would never suggest that i know better than you.