Thread: Downloadlimit
View Single Post
Old 08-06-20, 09:56
Administrator
Site Admin

John has much to be proud ofJohn has much to be proud ofJohn has much to be proud ofJohn has much to be proud ofJohn has much to be proud ofJohn has much to be proud ofJohn has much to be proud ofJohn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgjoe2010 View Post
I have to say, this is the main reason I haven't committed to becoming a standing member - the daily download limit just doesn't accommodate the reality of 4K video file sizes. I have found that you guys have pretty good content and I want to commit to being a regular member, however I have fallen foul of exceeding the 6GB daily limit a number of times and then find I am banned for the following day. I appreciate this may not be the easiest balance to strike, but I wanted to be fair and just put it out there in the hope that you could reflect on it.

Thanks and good work on your sites
The reason we have the limit is to keep on top of our hosting bill which is our single biggest monthly expense, our hosters never shut off the service which is good, but you have to pay for the bandwidth we use in delivering content to customers.

I understand it is a huge pain for those users that hit that but as an example, 12 full 4K videos would get you close to the limit, there are also other things that play a factor as the system we use adds the file size to your download count from the moment you click it to download or watch so we advise people not to run multiple downloads at once or use download managers because the system could inadvertently block you before your content has fully downloaded.

All the 'playable' media on the site is in SD, much smaller file sizes so you could probably watch around 60 x SD vids in a session, so in some cases, we suggest members preview in SD before deciding what they want in 4K but it really is up to members to do what works best for them.

In reality, perhaps less than 0.7% of our members ever hit the download limit on any given day but we certainly understand the frustration if you do hit it. We are looking at ways to improve the system such as warnings to a user before they hit the limit, perhaps throttling users once they hit the limit so they can still access content but only in SD format and at a slower speed, these are all things that we are considering

I hope that helps

cheers
John