View Single Post
Old 01-05-16, 21:42
AFF Guru

boundngag is on a distinguished road
Default Wenger - remaining sympathy gone

I don't know what Wenger was thinking when he attempted to apportion some of the blame on the atmosphere at the Emirates for yet another failed title bid. Probably clutching at yet another excuse, for a problem that he cannot manage to envisage is actually his fault.

This season, being 3rd behind a Leicester and Tottenham makes the failure even more damning. He cannot blame this failure on 'Financial Doping'. It also shows that Arsenal are actually getting further away from challenging for a title, not closer to it.

The other reason the season is damning is that a number of Arsenal players, particularly the British ones, for some reason, just have not progressed. Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Ramsey and in particular, Wilshere. Moving Sanchez onto the left, Cazorla into the centre and playing Coquelin as a defensive midfielder last season demonstrated that he doesn't really think those players are progressing either. IF that is the case, why does he not just sell them, rather than keeping them as squad players and hoping they get better?

But blaming the failure on the fans may well prove to be the beginning of the end. The Emirates prices are, basically, ridiculous and if they are not leading to an improving team, than what is the point of paying them. Wenger will almost certainly stay. To be honest, I think he probably expects to be offered another contract at the end of next season as well. He probably will be if he doesn't resign! But if next season starts badly (and Arsenal seasons usually do), I predict the fans will really stop turning up then. If that is the case, that may force the board to act, as they only seem to care about making profits.