Thread: Arsenal rant!!!
View Single Post
Old 14-03-17, 15:28
AFF Guru

boundngag is on a distinguished road

I do agree with that. I think a lot of Arsenal fans would. But knowing that and knowing that it is probably totally unavoidable is frustrating. One of the most annoying things about Wenger is either he is aware of this being the situation and is fine with it, or he has managed to totally delude himself. The fact that he seems oblivious to the fact that he is not the manager he once was indicates the latter to me.

The situation at Arsenal probably isn’t on the same scale, but do you remember the situation with Brian Clough at Nottingham Forest? Nottingham Forest won the European Cup twice under Clough (how many times has Wenger won it?!), but were relegated his final season as manager (I think they had been selling players too?) They have never really recovered from this and are still in the Championship, towards the bottom now. They even went down to League 1 at one stage. I’m not saying I think Wenger will take us down (although maybe if they let him continue into his 90s???), but I do think that he has been allowed to stay for too long and completely on his own terms.

I do wonder about Kroenk’s other sporting franchises in the United States. I think you said before that they had not been successful with Kroenk at the helm. I wonder if fans of these franchises in the United States don’t mind this, or if they are as annoyed with him as we are? I think in an interview a few seasons ago, he complained about being labelled ‘Silent Stan’ and yet he never communicates with the fans. If you don’t like it, Silent Stan, go to games and communicate with fans! Unbelievable. Don’t even get me started on Gazidis, who Wenger appointed and yet is supposedly answerable to and never seems to do anything! How does he justify his salary?!