View Single Post
Old 21-12-18, 23:44
peter92305

Question

It's good that we can have a serious discussion from time to time and there are few things of more importance than our Political futures and what our destiny is to be. We are not politicians which is why i'm not generally in favour of referenda. We should be able to trust our politicians we put in power to act on our behalves and in our best interests. Sadly, they are generally an indecisive bunch and frequently come up with some hair brain schemes like building an airport in the middle of the English Channel or buying obsolete water canon fire engines from abroad at great expense to the London tax payers only to be told by the then Home Secretary, Theresa May, ( remember her? ) that she won't allow Boris Johnson, the then London Mayor, to use them. He wanted them to help quell the anticipated riots in the streets of London. If they made sensible decisions, there'd be no need for rioting.

They all have vested interests which affect their decisions on important issues like building the 3rd runway at Heathrow, and the building of HS2 fast track train link from London to Manchester. We've been waiting nearly 30 years for a decision on where the new airport runway is to be built whilst work on HS2 rail link is due to commence in 2021. Many new homes will have to be demolished to make way and a lot of M.P.'s (mainly Tories), will have irate homeowners to confront, which is why they've dithered for so long.

I can remember what life was like before we joined the E.U.--we used to import dairy produce from Australia and lamb from New Zealand. It surely makes sense for us to trade perishable goods like food, from our near neighbours rather than transport them from the other side of the world!

These are exceptional times and call for exceptional circumstances. As Parliament is gridlocked over the way ahead, I reluctantly favour a Peoples' Vote. I have heated discussions with friends and i think that this issue is every bit as divisive as was the Miners' Strike during the Thatcher years. I've no idea how this will all pan out but it won't be easy, of that i am quite certain!