All Fetish Forums - The community for soft fetish

Go Back   All Fetish Forums - The community for soft fetish > Sport! > General Football
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-13, 22:25
AFF Guru

boundngag is on a distinguished road
Default Premier League is Entertainment

The Premier League's very up and down this season, with clubs going on good runs, then bad runs. This season, it even extends to Chelsea in third place. I'm fed up of pundits saying how great Man City and Man Utd are. They aren't. They actually have pretty average teams compared to past winners of the premier league. This is illustrated in the Champions Leage. Surprise, surpise, I don't think this is due to having to adapt to a different way of playing, i think it's due to a deficit in quality. Pundits claims that foreign players struggle to adapt because the teams lower in the league are better in England is also a load of patriotic piffle. There are several reasons they struggle. These include - the best foreign players no longer come to the Premier League. The Premier League is all about hype and has branded itself as entertainment rather than sport. Not everyone will find this appealing. This leads to situations such as it being more effective to be seen to doing things, rather than actually doing things - Berbatov may be inconsistent, but so is Rooney - maybe even more so. Berbatov doesn't get picked and gets sold off to Fulham. Rooney runs about like a headless chicken, fouls people, is often suspended, but is 'seen' doing these things and is (in my opinion) mistakenly labelled world class. Also, promoted teams are tending to do better these days. There's a rather obvious explanation as to why that is. The likes of Gareth Barry and James Milner still play for Man City and England. I have no idea why. I don't think they have much quality. But then, they do a lot of running about (often pointlessly) and fouling.
You may remember Beckham being all about hype and being in the newspapers week in, week out. This was the start of this period, in my opinon. Not only did he always keep his name in the papers, but every time someone scored, he would rush over, making sure he was the first to congratulate the players and therefore gettin g his face in the sports sections of the papers. This was a tad obvious, especially towards the end of his time in England, when he would often run quicker and further to do this than he had done in the whole match up to that point.

My point is that the best foreign players will continue to avoid the Premier League, as it basically is not about technical skill. The English teams will probably continue to do poory in the Champions League. English players will continue to do poorly at world cups and european championships. Yes, I know England beat Brazil yesterday, but how poor were Brazil? Also, it was only a friendly. Still, I suppose pundits will continue to make their claims (which often fly in the face of all evidence and, in the case of Itv, during matches having no problem in lying to you about what you're watching with your own eyes).Call me picky, but I do object to being talked to like I'm thick by pundits who often don't have two brain cells to rubs together, or are completely incoherent, or are as dull as dishwater or, if you're exceptionally lucky and are called Alan Shearer, all three!
Old 08-02-13, 10:30
Administrator
Site Admin

John has much to be proud ofJohn has much to be proud ofJohn has much to be proud ofJohn has much to be proud ofJohn has much to be proud ofJohn has much to be proud ofJohn has much to be proud ofJohn has much to be proud of

Oh you are a cynical, bitter and twisted football fan my friend

That said, I agree with you. The PL is overhyped...by SKY tv, how often have you heard them decry the PL as being the best league in the world. Tell that to Barcelona & Real Madrid and see if they agree. Often you will hear punndits and commentator telling us that a foreign player needs to adapt to the pace of the game in the PL... of courses.. as like you point out, they spend more time running around and fouling than actually passing or attempting to play intelligent football we all love to watch when you see Messi and gang trouncing rival after rival.

SKY TV has engendered this culture, just look at the pundits on Soccer Saturday, all blood and guts players who could take a tackle in their day..and of course dish it out..

I don't know who was commentating on the England game, probably Clive Tyldeley or Jim Proudfoot. I like neither and your comment brings up an issue I also have with commentators. they have an approach that their opinion is the only opinion and that they are of course completely right 100% of the time...ignorant *ossers

that said, it was sad to hear of the passing of David Oats, only at the age of 50. He was the chap who was commentating and described the Fabrice Muamba events as well doing commentary during the olympics.

Cheers
John
Old 10-02-13, 18:50
AFF Guru

I am bitter and twisted, aren't I? I'm only 30, too! (Yes, I realise that a lot of other people wouldn't see it as being 'only 30'. It definitely feels like 'only 30' though!) It probably come from living in Kent and not having any football league team to follow other than Gillingham. Since they nearly got promoted to the Premier League a while back, all they've seemed to do is go round in circles. Although they are second in League 2 at the moment (I think?). Also, technically, isn't Gillingham in Medway and not Kent?

Sorry about that. Being even more bitter and twisted there! I don't know how much of the England game you saw, but the hype after about Wilshere I thought was incredibly premature. He played well against a Brazil team who were awful! They certainly were not the Brazil of old. I don't know how much of that is because it was only a friendly or if they are a really poor side these days. I don't actually think he's played that well for Arsenal this season (although, to be fair, it's a poor Arsenal team).

Talking about Arsenal, how comes they vere from struggling to be able to score at all and not conceding to scoring and conceding for fun? It makes no sense whatsoever. They don't seemto have any bog standard 20, 3-1 type results at all? Also, what was the point of signing a left back in the transfer window? Admittedly, Andre Santos is an awful reserve left back to have, but surely another striker, defensive midfielder, centre back and reserve keeper (remember how poor Mannone was?) should have been higher priorities on Wenger's list? If Arsenal qualify for the Champions League this season, it'll be very surprising to say the least. That will only add to my arguement that the quality of the Premier League has markedly fallen, because there is no way it will be because of Wenger's ability as a manager!
Old 12-02-13, 10:12
Administrator
Site Admin

John has much to be proud ofJohn has much to be proud ofJohn has much to be proud ofJohn has much to be proud ofJohn has much to be proud ofJohn has much to be proud ofJohn has much to be proud ofJohn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by boundngag View Post
I am bitter and twisted, aren't I? I'm only 30, too! (Yes, I realise that a lot of other people wouldn't see it as being 'only 30'. It definitely feels like 'only 30' though!) It probably come from living in Kent and not having any football league team to follow other than Gillingham. Since they nearly got promoted to the Premier League a while back, all they've seemed to do is go round in circles. Although they are second in League 2 at the moment (I think?). Also, technically, isn't Gillingham in Medway and not Kent?
Being a Gills fan will turn you into a bitter and twisted Footy fan on any day of the week. Currently second in the L2 with a chance to go top tonight if they beat York...though if you were at the ground for their last home performance (yes the one where the idiot fan jumped on the away keeper!) not only would you be bitter and twisted, you may also be suicidal!

Wilshere is no doubt a good player but like you, I think the hype has all been a bit premature. I really think Arsenal will struggle for top 4. Tottenham are playing brilliantly..or should I say Bale is playing brilliantly and Chelsea are also getting results (despite poor old Benitez always being lined up for an early sacking before every game). Arsenal just aren't in the same league I'm afraid.

Last edited by John; 14-02-13 at 08:00.
Old 13-02-13, 22:24
AFF Guru

The Gills are second in the PL? Seriously? Are u sure you don't mean L2? Also, are you sure that fan that jumped on the away keeper wasn't you?! Maybe you mistook him for Fabianski and flew inton a blind rage as thought Gillingham had signed him?!

Unfortunately, Gillingham drew 0-0 with York and are still second in League two. This is an improvement on recent seasons I think, but it's worrying, as their form seems to have dropped away since the start of the season.

The odd thing about the Premier League is that teams seem to go on good runs, then bad runs more than ever. I think the quality has dropped, so there isn't much in it and so a lot comes down to confidence and mental strength... not two of Arsenal's strong points. It's hard to envisage them going on a long unbeaten run, as if they come up against a team playing well, they will probably just capitulate.

You mention Benitez - You don't think that Abramovic will give into fan pressure, sack him, make a ludicrously large offer to Arsenal for Wenger, Wenger would go to Chelsea, Arsenal then get a new manager... I'm being delusional, aren't I? It'd be good if it happened though.... Come on, Roman, you're trigger finger must be feeling very twitchy by now...
Old 14-02-13, 08:01
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by boundngag View Post
The Gills are second in the PL? Seriously? Are u sure you don't mean L2?
Ooops... I stand corrected talk about a day dream!