All Fetish Forums - The community for soft fetish

Go Back   All Fetish Forums - The community for soft fetish > Sport! > General Football
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-13, 21:28
AFF Guru

boundngag is on a distinguished road
Default Self-defeating Arsenal comments

A while ago (admittedly this means that I can't remember when), Arsene Wenger made a comment along the lines that he tried to sign David Beckham a few times, but could not afford his wages. Why would he say that? Not only was Beckham a hugely overrated player who would not have provided value for money (unless you include shirt sales), but it illustrates that Wenger's judgement of players is not always what it should be, but that Arsenal can't afford to pay high wages. It's like Arsenal recently linking themselves to Rooney. Another vastly overrated player who would not provide value for money (although, it may be Rooney's agent blithely linking him to every club possible, although in all likelihood only Man City, PSG, Monaco or Anzhi Makhachkala would pay Rooney the wages he demands for a player that in the last few seasons in particular, has never justified the 'world class' tag). It's like Wenger's saying 'we don't have any money, please come and take our best players'). What I'm saying here in a somewhat convoluted way is that the main proponent of the 'Wenger's a great manager, he just doesn't have any money to spend' myth (imho) is Wenger himself. He does have some money to spend; he just spends it badly these days on the likes of Andre Santos, Mertesacker and Gervinho. (I'd include Giroud, but I honestly believe he has potential. Although this would be best utilised by a more direct team. So then why would Wenger buy him in the first place?!) Wenger has never liked spending money, even before the Emirates was built. The difference is that his judgement of players is no longer there, he can no longer pluck an Henry, Vieira or Anelka from obscurity. To emphasise my point, so far this summer, Arsenal who have money to spend (again, despite what Wenger would have you believe), Arsenal have signed Yaya Sanogo on a free transfer.This summer they have released the following players:Andrey Arshavin, Samir Bihmoutine, Reice Charles-Cook, Denilson, Craig Eastmond, Sead Hajrovic, Conor Henderson, Jernade Meade, Nigel Oldfield Spence-Neita, Joshua Rees, Philip Roberts, James Shea, Sebastien Squillaci, Sanchez Watt. You do the maths.